Thursday, July 27, 2006

Oh my... I forgot....

This post is a day late... Oh well.

I think that D-503's preoccupation with math is a reflection of how he views the world around him (until he met I-330, of course). Similar to in math, in D-503's society, things are clear-cut and there is always a solution to every problem. I think Zamyatin uses D-503's fixation of math to make his audience aware that often time we are taught what to think instead of how to think. And when a problem arises where we were never told how to handle, we become distressed (and this is what happened to D-503 when he wasn't sure what to make of his feelings for I-330). I think Zamyatin also uses D-503's preoccupation with math to show that everything in the real world is not as simple as it is in the One State, where everything for the most part is black and white, and that not everything has a rational solution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home