Monday, July 17, 2006

Women and Utopia according to Socrates

Socrates believes that despite possibly different natures, Women should be taught the same things as men so that they can be just as useful in society. I agree with Socrates because I think that it would be stupid to just not teach women things just because they are inferior or different natured when in actuality they could do a lot for society. If woman are taught the same thing as men then it is more likely to have more people succeed in certain tasks because there is more of a chance of someone being good at something. For example, there is more of a chance of their being good doctors if you are choosing from 100 people as opposed to 50 people. It is also best for society when everyone is educated and I think that society advances quicker with more educated people because there is more opportunity for inventions and expansion. Also women will become more involved in politics and more loyal to the government if other woman can hold high positions in society. This is a representation of utopia because in a "perfect society" there would be no discrimination against sexes and it would be favored to have everyone educated.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I completely agree with you on the subject of educating everyone equally regardles of sex. Because it would result in a stonger society.

(BTW, sorry about the deleted comment. I don't know what I did, but it messed up my original comment to you, which was a lot longer that the two sentences this time. But I'm too lazy to try and remember everything I typed before. But it was all in agreement to your post.)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I like the sentence you included about choosing from 100 doctors instead of 50. This is so true and I think it totally simplifies Socrates' idea. This question is also very persuasive because the answer is so obvious and logical.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home