Sunday, July 16, 2006

Socrates the....feminist?

Odd, isn't it, that even back in Socrates' time he was expressing ideas about the equality of men and women? And in today's society, many people still have quite a bit of difficulty accepting this notion? My reaction to this is that I am....pleasantly surprised. His thoughts of women being treated the same way as men, and receiving equal education and training are refreshing. I was glad to see that he looked at this issue logically, as opposed to simply thinking "well....men are better than women, so they get more" like it used to so often be the case. And despite his listeners deeming these thoughts to be outlandish and radical, he remains true to his principals and sticks up for women (in a sense). He realizes that it would be foolish to write women off as being useless just because they are different from men. Rather than doing so, he sees it as a good idea to maximize their utility by giving them the same opportunities that the males receive.
And with regards to the representation of a utopia.....I think it does. Socrates is stating his thoughts about what the ideal city would have and stand for. The only thing that I see as being less than "ideal" from his remarks is the idea of having certain breeding times and raising all of the children together, not allowing the women to raise their own kids. I feel like this is not a healthy practice. But that may be because I find it hard to picture a society where a child is raised by an entire community, as opposed to a single family unit. That may just be me, though. Nonetheless, I feel that this does represent a utopia because of the equal treatment of men and women that he portrays as being ideal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home