Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Precise Calculations for D-503

Interesting...allow me to quote my own opening from part A2 of our LRO, in which we were asked to self-evaluate our methods/styles of learning: "I like math- mostly because with math there usually is a “right” and a “wrong” answer. From the fourth grade on through my high school career I had been enrolled in the Gifted and Talented AP English, a program based on creativity and a world where no “right” or “wrong” answers exist- and I still prefer math."

In the same way which I described my own aptitude for math, I believe that Zamyatin intends to provide D-503's preoccupation with correctness and math to show that he is an individual who can find happiness in a society which provides "right and wrong" standards to human lifestyles. D-503 essentially is the "ideal" citizen in the "ideal" society: it is accomodating to his personal thoughts and desires, and therefore may serve as his own utopia. This society and lifestyle is not unsuiting or unfavorable for all.

This communication may be rhetorical in the sense that D-503 represents the an example, or (in reference to Aristotle's model) a paradigm, which illuminates the "good" behind the "bad" of the society. People mean well, and some may benefit from the ways of the One State.

2 Comments:

Blogger RyanG said...

The write and wrong portions of english are not the answers given but how you give them. Teachers constantly remark over my poor grammer though everything else is well thought out. Bad grammer is the wrong anwer in english.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Hmmm… good point. I should have been more clear in my description. What I was referring to really was more in literature and interpretation: that each individual may interpret a single element differently, and that anything is up for argument. Very true about the grammar though, I really should have been more expressive.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home