Thursday, July 20, 2006

Poetry of We

For the imagery that I enjoyed the most from the first entry. The part where is starts "I write this, and I feel: my cheeks are burning." This passage means two things to me. The first is he needs to intrigue the reader into continuing the book. The second is how he strands the words together. "My pen, accustomed to figures, does not know how to create the music of assonances and rhymes." The meaningful nature of a strand of letters. The beautiful thing about imagery in that you do not need to describe something you see or hear but a feeling as well. He begins with the introduction that he is a logical being in an emotional world. The feeling of having an idea growing inside you represented as woman becoming pregnant and the birth writing it down as shown in the last paragraph. The passion about an idea introduced in the beginning. Describing the creation of an idea as something that is so natural like a human giving birth. The underlining connection that an idea is creating life. At the end of this paragraph saying “tear it painfully from myself and lay it at the feet of the One State.” How the writer goes into after giving birth, giving this idea up to the society. The whole passage describes the process of giving your idea away for the world to know of it. Lastly with the passage about titling the book WE is almost a way of uniting the this idea to the people of the One State.

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt Giani said...

I definitely agree that his vivid use of imagery in the very beginning of the book really intrigues the reader into continuing to read, especially since we talked about how many of the subtle ideas and premises of the book were very controversial at the time. And even though he has willingly relented his freedom to be part of a "big machine," this imagery creates a picture of how difficult it is for him to live in a world where he's unable to articulate his emotions freely.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Simon Says said...

I agree with your placing a lot of importance on the emotion of the main character. I found it interesting how conflicted he feels, even though he can not quite articulate where that feeling comes from nor can he reconcile it with his need to conform. Though, in the One State, numbers are not supposed to have individuality, the main character obviously, even if only secretly, harbors at least a tiny bit of his true self.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Nick_sp said...

while I agree that the imagery is vivid and beautiful, I disagree with the view that the narrator feels like it is a difficulty to live as a part of the One State.

Indeed, the feeling I get when reading this section of the book is that of watching something almost masochistic. It seems to pain him that he has difficulty articulating himself, but afterwards, it seems like he gains for himself a huge sense of self-satisfaction that he has the opportunity to lay his efforts at the feet of the One State

7:53 AM  
Blogger Ami Herrera said...

I think that the imagery is really important as well for making the audience want to read the book. I was very interested when I read certain parts of the book and the descriptions make me think that the author has a lot to offer to the readers. I think that the rest of the book is going to be interesting.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Wei Wei Wu said...

I think D-503's excessive use of imaginaries makes him seem kind of feminine. Being a male, how can you feel what a woman becoming pregnant and giving birth was like? Where did he get those ideas?

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home