Monday, July 24, 2006

Impression of We

In all honesty I've never been a fan of science fiction, or a lot of fiction in general for that matter, unless it has a high component of reality. I have to say though that so far this novel has exceeded my expectations. How convincingly the protagonist relates his description of the One State forces the reader to critically analyze the statements and premises he introduces and keeps the reader actively engaged throughout the book.
Also, another aspect of literature that I didn't really like (thank you Faulkner) until I read this book was the "stream of conscious" approach. Since the book is formatted like a diary entry it seems to flow naturally like true mental processes and thoughts are merely being transformed into writing. I've tried to write like that before and it's actually a lot more difficult than some adept writers make it seem.
As we discussed in class I believe that the book is meant to be a critique of regimented and overly-controlled societies, but I think it's also more than that. It seems like the author's confession of the necessity for human beings to deal with their emotions instead of suppressing and rationalizing them. The inner struggle and torment that D is experiencing is due to the conflict between viewing the world purely in forms of logic his entirely life, and then suddenly being catapulted into a world of impulse, desire, and irrationality. I think that the struggle of "mind vs. heart" is a cornerstone of human existence, which is why the book has the capacity to influence all who read it. Two thumbs up. Fun for the whole family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home