Monday, July 17, 2006

Females in a Utopia

You know, I'm still having trouble envisioning what an actual utopia would look or be like, and I agree with some of the points that Socrates raises but I have to disagree with some of the others.
Socrates' main point was the fact that men and women are both able to reach the highest point of citizenship in his ideal State, the duty of guardianship, and he attempted to prove his point by showing that some women, like men, have the inherent nature to be leaders or whatever so they could be guardians also. The contradiction that I noticed, though, was that he said something like "just because women bear children and men don't doesn't mean that their natures are different," but then he goes on to talk about how women have a generally inferior nature to men.
I applaud the fact that he gives men and women the ability to arise to equal positions in the state, but then saying that women are inferior sort of dismisses his notion of equality. I think that most of the "innate" differences between men and women are actually due to nurture instead of nature, and with equal education and training women can do anything as well as, if not better than, men.
Also, I'm with some other people when I say that I didn't know what his whole notion of breeding was. The whole Darwinian "survival of the fittest" seems like it's supposed to be a natural phenomenon and not controlled meticulously like humans are cattle. I think a utopia would be devoid of limitations on free choice like the age of the person you want to "breed" with. Not allowing people to marry and be together is a crime in and of itself anyways in my opinion.

2 Comments:

Blogger karebear1206 said...

I really agree with your post. The concept of mating Socrates proposed is so strange and would never be successful. This society is controlling a very free right that every human should have. And yes, humans are not supposed to be artifically selected for, and definitely not in the manner Socrates described. It seems like it would throw off some kind of natural balance.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

You are absolutely right about Socrates contradicting himself. I read that but I guess I didn't pay too much attention to it. I thought that Socrates had completed total equality for women, which as weird, until I looked at blogs like yours.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home