Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Et tu Burké?

Purpose: To better discern the true nature of justice
Scene: A group of educated men in the home of Cephalus
Agent: Socrates
Agency: Socratic dialogue
Act: The refutation of Thrasymachus’ views of justice and injustice.

According to this, my Burkeian view of Book I, one can see clearly a few of the things that I felt were key about the encounter, which I have ordered as I feel most appropriate. First, in my opinion, is clearly the purpose, which is stated above, and the only reason for the dialogue at all. What is also important is the fact that it is a discussion about justice, something held in very high esteem by all those involved, which is a factor that really makes the argument emphatic in spirit, if less so in words. The fact that it is an educated group of men is very important as well. Second in importance (which I placed at the end for emphasis) is that Thrasymachus’ view is utterly rejected and defeated. Tertiary in importance to me is that it was Socrates who did the refuting through his Socratic dialogue. Anyone who would have been able to do the same would have been just as good, at least as far as this small portion of the argument is concerned.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Giani said...

I like how you said that the act was the refutation of Thrasymachus' points; that's an interesting way to view the drama. Someone else posted something about how everyone seemed to be holding many misconceptions about the nature of justice and throughout the dialogues those misconceptions were discarded in an attempt to reach the true core of justice. While it seemed that Thrasymachus' opinions were contrary to the true nature of justice and they only seemed to impede the progress of the search for truth, the process of debating why his opinions were not indicative of true justice helped to illuminate what true justice really is. I like your opinion.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home