Thursday, July 13, 2006

Burke's Pentad (Book 1)

Act: Debate over what justice is
Scene: Cephalus’s house where many are gathered
Agent: Socrates
Agency: Persuasion and debate
Purpose: Discussion between Socrates and Cephalus

As Socrates made his first visit to Piraeus in many years, he ran into many people that he had not seen in a while. As he visited his old acquaintances at Cephalus’s house where many of them gathered, he and Cephalus began to have a discussion that turned into a debate over what justice is. Each tried to use the art of persuasion and debate to get their point across.
According to the definition given by Thomas More, a Utopia is the good place which is no place, I don’t really think that this story represent a Utopia. I don’t know why, but if many people are debating the fact that being unjust is more beneficial than being just, it really doesn’t seem like a very good and happy place. It obviously is no place because I’m guessing they are speaking hypothetically because once in the story they refer to justice as a woman. I really don’t know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peterpeterhaha said...

haha I tried to make opinions for myself as I was reading but honestly, I dont think I have a clue as to what is really happening either.

8:35 AM  
Blogger phantomdance said...

I think that their conversation dances around the idea of what they each think a utopia is and they are both wrong in their ideals. Yes, maybe a utopia centers upon the idea of a type of conformity, but having a 'hypothetical' situation where solitary justice or injustice is beneficial is next to impossible.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home