Sunday, July 16, 2006

blog #4 yes or no to women?

My reaction to Socrates's thought about women in the city was quite surprising. Socrates believed that women should go alongside men and be treated equal, meaning that they receive the same amount of education and have the same political views. Even though men and women are physically different, he believes that most of them are naturally the same. What I think he means by this is that women are capable of having the same ablilities as men do. The question of whether or not this is a characteristic of utopia, I would have to say that it is. When both men and women are considered equal, I would say that it is a perfect world. Women are usually inferior to men and so society revolves around that idea leading to injustice. Like how it is now in our present society, even though women have come a long way in slowly moving up in this man's world, I still feel as if women are still inferior and will never come up as being first. For some reason, I am questioning why Socrates will say this or believe this especially coming from this time period in the book. It has always been that women should be inferior to men so I wonder why he feels this way. I am not disagreeing with this idea but normally men wouldn't say or dare to say such a thing. It's like Socrates is the first feminist. But then again, Socrates is an intelligent and wise man. Maybe he has found his definition of justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home