Wednesday, July 26, 2006

2 X 2=4

Zamyatin uses situational irony in the book to communicate his views on society. Being a mathematician and being logical it seemed like the perfect twist for a logical man to evolve and acquire a soul. I think he is trying to tell us that even the strictest of people can change and see things in a different light. We see that a man so devout and immersed in the logical world be lead down a path by a women. In dealing with equations and absolute certainty the concept of emotion seems to be irrational as the root of negative one. We also see that D-503 thinks like a mathematician by going through each detail step by step. Even his entries are somewhat clearly defined at the beginning. Zamyatin uses this in a rhetorical way to make us think about our life and compare it to D-503’s. As we question ourselves and compare we realize that our life may be closer to D-503. This then brings up questions about our own society and how people are living in our society. We may find that like D-503 our society is not as great as we thought and may be in need of improvements.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

I agree with you. I think that by showing the things that occur with D-503 and math then when I-330 comes along is comparing maybe some value that we hold on close to that we never think will change until one day that something comes and we change.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Lamar said...

I think that while our society may have flaws, that we have MUCH more freedom than the society written about by Zamyatin. And I don't think that Zamyatin is trying to make us compare OUR society to that of D-503. If you remember, his audience is Russia in the 1920's, and that is who I think Zamyatin is really trying to "enlighten."

2:15 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I really like how you put "...can be lead down a path by a woman". It seems almost as if Zamyatin is referencing the "Adam and Eve" concept, which is something I had not observed prior to reading your blog. Also, I agree with Lamar in that Zamyatin is not, in fact, trying to point out flaws in our society vs. the One State, but rather in human nature. I also believe he is addressing a certain fear that this scenario is an actual possibility.

8:17 AM  
Blogger phantomdance said...

I strongly agree with your idea on how Zamyatin uses situational irony. It IS ironic how he created a man, D-503, obsessed with mathematics and logistics that soon turned his world upside down over a girl. I like how Zamyatin focuses on only the left side of the brain to describe how this world runs and that the right brain is completely ignored, creativity discouraged.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Rosa said...

I really like how you pointed out that he lives his life going through a series of steps everyday in all his actions. I didnt really think of that until now. Not only does D-503 think like a mathematician but also a follows his life like one following an algorithm to his daily life.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I never thought of D-503 as being "lead down a path by a women" into a world which he is not used to, so that's cool, cause I always thought his actions were due to his inability to understand his feelings. It's a great point that you make that he would seem the likely candidate for such an evolution... isn't irony great?

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home